Tuesday, July 24, 2012

One habit at a time.

Today while looking through the Institute of Intergrative Nutrition's Facebook page I saw they had posted the question "What was the best piece of health advice you've ever given or received?" I thought this post would certainly have some really great nuggets of healthful information, so I started reading the replies. I came to one that resonated with me so much that I had to stop reading. It said:

One habit at a time

This small sentence, or rather sentence fragment, made me feel like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders. 

One habit at a time

It's such a simple and obvious concept, but sometimes it can be ignored or hard to accept. On this journey to health that I have begun, I sometimes feel overwhelmed at the amount of change I need to make to be the physically, mentally and spiritually healthy person I want to be. There is so much wrong with our society's ways of producing food, eating, healing, working and views of health in general that it truly astounds me. when I think about how I want to start eating only pastured meat and eggs, eating only organically produced foods, subscribing to a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture), taking herbs daily, getting massage at least twice a month, doing Yoga everyday, meditating everyday and eating raw cultured veggies, among other things. I feel SWAMPED when I think about this list! And everyday I learn a new piece of information that I place on top of my pile of things I want to incorporate into my healthy living practices. But now I can remember: 

One habit at a time

This piece of advice can help me take a deep breath and FOCUS on the habit at hand. They say it takes 3 weeks to make or break a habit. I'm going to start working on one or two habits for 3-4 weeks. I'm hoping this new approach will help me to feel unintimidated and in control and will  help me make lasting lifestyle changes.

New Mantra: One habit at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment